Father Thomas Keating has popularized a practice that is rooted in a centuries-old book called ‘The Cloud of Unknowing.’
It begins with the choice of a sacred word. It should be noted that this sacred word might be an image, or even the breath itself. The instructions below presume the practioner is going the word-route.
Some of the more popular words chosen include “Love” “Loved” “Spirit” “God” and “Yahwew.” Before you begin, it is wise to have chosen your sacred word. You should stick with your sacred word at least through the duration of your practice.
Proponents of centered prayer advocate working up to 2-30 minute sessions each day.
- Place your feet flat on the floor and relax.
- Say your sacred word. Recognize that this is your consent to the holy spirit to come and meet with you.
- As best you can, clear your mind.
- Know that thoughts and feelings are bound to arise. Each time they do, dismiss them gently by saying your sacred word.
- Set a goal of continuing this practice for at least 20 minutes; half an hour is even better.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email email@example.com to share something directly with the Project’s Director, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project continue to deliver this conetent to a world in need: become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.