Background: This exercise works best in an outside environment. While it is good to simply explore, sometimes, don’t be unwise about this situation. Pay attention to your surroundings enough to know where you are and how to safely get yourself back to where you began, please.
- Explore your surroundings; meander, and hike around. Do your best to see things with new eyes, even if you are familiar with the area.
- Find your breath and do your best to stay there, breathing calmly for the duration of this exercise.
- As you continue your walk, be open for little nudgings from The Spirit of an object to give special attention to. It might be a rock, a leaf, a tree, a plant; perhaps even an anthill or smudge of paint.
- When you find this object– what ever it is– approach it with loving reverence.
- Carefully consider the setting of the object. Where is it? What is around it?
- Look at it from as many angles as possible.
- Touch and smell it, if you can.
- Sit with this object, whatever it is. Love it, as best you can.
- This object is a manifestation of God. The whole of God can be inferred from this one single thing. Sit with this image for a long time. Get to know it intimately.
- If thoughts, feelings, or memories seek to intrude on this time, release them by returning to this item, whatever it is.
Throughout your day, know that you can bring this object to mind as a way to find calm.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org to share something directly with the Project’s Director, to join our next email campaign, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project share spiritual practices with a world in desperate need. Become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.