Background: God knows everything about you. And God loves you, thoroughly, utterly and irrevocably. For the duration of today’s practice, please release your feelings and fears about God being angry about who you are or what you have done. While those feelings may be rooted in reality they will not serve you in this practice, because whatever else God feels toward you, God’s love is not deniable or negotiable.
Today’s practice is inspired by the work of Richard Rohr and others who would have us contemplate God’s loving gaze on every part of us.
In this practice, we will begin by experiencing God’s gaze on our physical body. We will then experience God’s gaze on our minds, and then in our heart.
After a time of experiencing God gazing down on us, and experiencing ourselves, mirroring this gaze back up on God, we will close by breathing out this accumulated Love on the world around us.
1. Place your feet flat on the floor. Breathe deeply, filling and emptying the lungs as completely as possible.
2. Inhale. With your breath, inhale the reality that God is love.
3. With your next exhale, exhale the things you fear about what God might think or believe about you.
4. For as many breaths as you need, feel God’s loving gaze falling on your body. Perhaps it begins at your feet and works its way up. Let God’s gaze stop in places you feel sore, tight, or hurt.
5. For 3 more breaths, feel God’s loving gaze on the whole of your physical body.
6. Now, experience God’s gaze on your mind. Let it begin on your thoughts and beliefs. Perhaps you will feel this as God’s view resting deeply within your head.
7. God’s gaze also lands on your memories. It is a loving and healing gaze. As you continue to breathe deeply, feel God’s watching fix some of the brokenness of your past.
8. God’s gaze will come down to your feelings. Perhaps you will experience God’s gaze on your physical heart as God lovingly beholds the contents of your feelings.
9. Continuing to breathe deeply, for 3 breaths, let God take in the whole of your brain and your heart. Feel loved and healed.
10. As you continue these deep inhales, see that God beholds you. All of you. In every moment. As he is watching you, the whole of, watch God. You have become a sort-of mirror, reflecting that loving gaze back up to God.
11. Luxuriate in this. Take as long as you would like. Continue to be present to deep breaths.
12. Just as a mirror turns back all of the light that is casting on it, you are turning back God’s gaze fully. Yet, the mirror grows warm. It keeps some of the heat where it is. Let yourself grow warm with God’s love.
13. As this heat increases, consider those you love the most. And breathe out your love on them.
14. Continuing to breathe deeply, widen the circle of those you are breathing out love on. Include casual friends.
15. Inhaling, and exhaling, reciving God’s love, you can know breathe your love on the whole of the human race.
You can help in turning The Faith-ing Project into a fully functioning community. You can do this in several ways:
- Share your thoughts, feelings, and criticism below in the comments.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org to share something directly with the Project’s Director, to join our next email campaign, or to ask to be placed on the mailing list.
- Access exclusive content and help The Faithing Project share spiritual practices with a world in desperate need. Become a Patron.
- follow @faithingproject on twitter.