|Background: Before this time of transition, you may have felt like you had much more in the way of answers. One of the reasons that transitions are necessary is because with out them we accumulate so much of what is simply not necessary. Just as moving homes requires a difficult process of weeding through our belongings and getting rid of those physical things which we do not need, more spiritual transitions require us to release the things which we do not spiritually need.
We learn, at these times, what is essential. Sometimes, all we have is the knowledge that we are right here, and that God is right here, and that we are together.
(It is, of course, entirely possible that a person might not even be ready to say that much. If your transition leaves you in a place where you do not even feel that you can speak of God, this is common and understandable. It might be necessary to drop those two phrases from this practice, and simply repeat with the inbreath, “Here I am.”)
1. Take three deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth.
2. With the next in breath, say or think, “Here I am, God.”
4. With the next in breath, say or think, “Here you are God.”
6. With the next in breath, say or think, “Here we are together.”
9. Repeat steps 2-8 for most of the time you were planning on devoting to this practice.
10. When you are ready, release these words. Sit in a time of wordless union.