|This practice original appeared in our Email Exploration, God Breathed.
Background: Recall that one way of understanding the “name” which is sometimes rendered as Yahweh is to see that these letters were meant to resemble the breath. That is, God’s name is not a series of sounds like any other name. God’s name is something quite different; it is the act of breathing itself. For more information and a practice that focuses only on this idea, click here.
At the same time, God is said to have scooped up a handful of earth. God breathed into it, and then it was a human being. We can experience God’s ongoing breath as in us as an act of ongoing creation. We can live in this reality that with each of our inhalations, God is breathing into us. With each of our exhalations, God is recieving our breath. For more information on this practice and a practice which focuses only on this idea, click here.
1. Take a deep breath in.
3. Release your expectations and worries as you take 2 more deep breaths in and out.
4. As you inhale, experience this as the first half of God’s name,
5. As you exhale, experience this as the second half of God’s name.
6. Repeat steps four and five for a few minutes.
7. As you inhale, feel God breathing life into you.
8. As you exhale, feel your breath going out into God’s lungs.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for a few minutes.
10. Now, bring these two practices together: inhale. Receive that breath from God, even knowing that this is the first half of God’s truest name.
11. Exhale: breathing out a breath received by God. This receipt is the second half of God’s name.
12. Continue steps 10 and 11 for most of the time remaining that you had reserved for this practice.
13. When you are ready, release your images and experiences. Sit in a time of wordless union.
If you would like to try a practice which combines this one with an awareness of this present moment being the only one we have, this present breath being the only breath we ever breathe, click here.