Background: There are two important realities to hold on to with today’s practice. Both of these have been explored in past emails.
The first is that God breathes in us, just as portrayed in the book of Genesis. This act of breathe-in-us is in fact what makes us human; perhaps it is how we get the image of God in us in the first place.
The second is that each and every breath is wholly unique. It never was, and never will be.
One of the implications of these two facts considered together is that it is not only each of our own breaths which can be said to be unique. Each breath from God is a wholly unique experience.
1. Release your worries and concerns. Note your breath.
2. Become present to this very breath with your inhale.
3. Become present to this very breath with your exhale.
4. Note the feeling of the breath as it comes in.
5. Note the feeling of the breath as it goes out.
6. With the next inhale, note that this experience, this particular breath is different than all the breaths that ever came before.
7. With the next exhale, note that this experience, this particular breath, is different than all the breaths that will ever come after.
8. Continue this pattern. Be present to this breath, here and now. Note that the specific sensations are different than the last breath or the next one.
9. Notice that the ‘you’ who is breathing this particular breath is in some tiny way different than the ‘you’ who breathed that last breath.
10. Notice that the ‘you’ who is breathing this particular breath is different than the you who will breathe that next breath.
11. When you are ready, bring to mind the reality that God is breathing this breath into you.
12. Bring to mind the reality that you are breathing this breath into God.
13. With your next inhale, receive a breath from God that is different than all the breaths God has ever breathed into anyone.
14. With your next exhale, breathe a breath into God that is different than all the breaths anyone will ever breathe into God.
15. With your next inhale, as you receive a breath from God, note that the wholly unique character of this very inhalation is a direct result of the interplay between God’s breath and yours.
16. With your next exhale, as you breathe out a breath to God, be aware that the wholly unique character of the interplay between you and God.
17. Continue this pattern until it is time to release it. Then, spend some time in wordless union.